Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others.
~ Thomas Jefferson

Thursday, April 14, 2011

The evolution of a viewpoint

A liberal in my youth (recall the quote attributed to Winston Churchill: " If you are twenty, and not a liberal, you have no heart. If you are forty, and not a conservative, you have no brain"), I have become quite conservative in my later years. As a "recovering Catholic", I have resisted accepting the Catholic/Christian view of abortion as the taking of a human life. I lately find myself coming more and more to thinking it may indeed be so, although I must be honest and say I don't quite "feel" the truth of that yet.


What I do believe, however, is that those who perform abortions have indeed murdered many viable, living newborn babies - possibly millions, when you consider there have been over 50 million abortions performed in this country since 1973 (per the article I will soon post) . I'm not talking simply about "late term" abortions, but the many times an aborted infant is actually delivered alive and able to breathe on its own. Gosnell, the Butcher of Philadelphia, is believed to have killed a number of these infants with a pair of scissors. Some call him "doctor". I don't.


So, while I am still undecided about incomplete fetuses, those which don't yet have a developed brain or spinal cord, fetuses in the early stages of gestation or due to be born anencephalic (without a brain), I find that I am against late term abortions, especially where the fetus - child - might survive once removed from the womb.

Here is a good article about a doctor who was a staunch supporter of abortion rights, even working tirelessly for a political organization supporting abortion rights, but who had an epiphany which led him to believe he was wrong, that abortion was in fact wrong. Although it doesn't fully explain the actual knowledge that changed his mind and his heart on this subject, it does demonstrate his acceptance of error here: "I have such heavy moral baggage to drag into the next world." Read it, if you would.

http://www.jewishworldreview.com/cols/greenberg041411.php3

Ann Coulter on Planned Parenthood

Ann talks about how Planned Parenthood is one of the country's largest single providers of abortions, and how the Democrats will roll over before allowing any "harm" to come to an agency they see as sacrosanct. They deny that providing abortions is its main business, claiming women go there for pre-natal checks, and adoption referrals, along with - get this - cholesterol checks.

"But according to Planned Parenthood itself, when it comes to services for pregnant women, abortion constituted 97.6 percent of the services Planned Parenthood provided in 2009. Only 2.4 percent of the organization's services for pregnant women involved prenatal care or adoption referrals.

Again, according to its own reports, Planned Parenthood performed 332,278 abortions in 2009 -- or more than a quarter of all abortions in the entire country. It receives about 37 percent of its total revenue from performing abortions. "

Read it all. It's brief, but telling: http://www.jewishworldreview.com/cols/coulter041411.php3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry, folks. I was completely ignorant about comment rules. Anyone can post, but I'd prefer a name, even if it is made up. Anonymous posts just seem cheap, if you know what I mean. Also, if you want to argue a point, that's fine. Cheap shots and name calling towards me or another person commenting (ad hominem) is rude and will get you banned. Other than that, I'd love to get some comments.